7 Discussion: Critical Reading
In Week 2, you selected a practical or scientific topic related to forensic psychology that is relevant to your field experience setting for your Final Project. As you research your topic, you must critically evaluate each resource. Sometimes, even credible sources contain errors, biases, or inadequate evidence to support findings. Using a critical eye allows you to judge the article’s validity so you can decide whether to reference it in your own research. Look for weaknesses in articles by asking questions, such as
- Were the author’s interpretations and conclusions supported by the evidence he or she presented?
- Was there any apparent bias?
- Were there other ways that specific data could be interpreted other than how the author approached it?
- Were there any important variables that were left out of the study?
- Was every assertion supported by fact?
- Did the text use reliable resources?
an explanation of the importance of being a critical reader of scholarly research. Then describe one strength and one limitation related to being a critical reader of scholarly research, including strategies to improve your limitations.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.