Studying Cognitive Development: Six Approaches
- Behaviorist approach: Studies the basic mechanics of learning.
- Psychometric approach: Seeks to measure the quantitative differences in cognitive
- Piagetian approach: Looks at changes or stages in the quality of cognitive functioning.
- Information-processing approach: Focuses on the processes involved in perception, learning, memory, and problem solving.
- Cognitive neuroscience approach: Examines the hardware of the central nervous system.
- Social-contextual approach: Examines the impact of environmental aspects of the learning process, particularly the role of parents and other caregivers.